I have finally finished the bag!
So to give you an idea of how much it’s shrunk from beginning to end, here is it before fulling:
And this is prior to putting the handles on following the 2nd fulling:
The AccuQuilt board gave me quite a good idea of how much it shrank during the first and second processing. It was quite laboring and I was glad I did my research before fulling it. There were a few tutorials recommending gloves and the hottest water and agitating tools. I used a couple of pans of near boiling water and one kettle of boiling water, along with a partial sink of hot tap water. It took about 20 minute of agitation with the tools before I could get my hands in there, but it got much easier after it cooled down. The first round in the drier took and hour and a half, the second took 3 and a half hours. Boy did I have no clue how long that was going to take! I gently ironed out the wrinkles and creases of the bottom and made that visible so it would look more like a tote and less like a drapey piece of fabric. It drives me crazy when a bag has a bottom but isn’t quite stable or definable. I was hoping the fulling process would bring that out, but sometimes things don’t quite work the way we think they should. The iron did, so I’m glad that was an easy fix. Next time I will use a reinforcement along the selvedge of the bottom to make it more definable. Overall that was a fun mindless project. The color was cheery in the dreariest of days. Picking it up and doing a few rows in the carpool lane always picked up my mood. Although the yarn is discontinued (update: found the yarn label, color is Hawaiian Sunset and yarn is Deluxe Worsted LP by Universal Yarns [it’s discontinued, but if you can get your hands on some of this, it makes a beautiful long striping print]), I would love to find more to possibly make another at a later point. I don’t have much for plain non super wash wool in my collection, and I’d like to do more experiments in fulling like this, this year.